Mentoring vs Coaching
[vc_row type=”in_container” full_screen_row_position=”middle” scene_position=”center” text_color=”dark” text_align=”left” overlay_strength=”0.3″][vc_column column_padding=”no-extra-padding” column_padding_position=”all” background_color_opacity=”1″ background_hover_color_opacity=”1″ column_shadow=”none” width=”1/1″ tablet_text_alignment=”default” phone_text_alignment=”default” column_border_width=”none” column_border_style=”solid”][vc_column_text]
What’s the Difference?
So you’ve thought about coaching, but you already have a mentor, so coaching is not for you…wrong! Coaching and mentoring are very different. Both worthwhile, but saying they are the same is like saying that an apple and a piece of pizza are the same because they are food. Let me dispel the myths you may have about mentoring vs. coaching.
- A mentor shares her experiences with someone who has yet to have the experience
- She gives suggestions, ideas and guidance on how to get where you are going
- She is a “content expert” in the area that you hope to grow and develop
- Can be a formal or informal process
- Can move beyond just mentoring into a sponsor relationship where she will advocate for you when you are not in the room
- You, as the participant, set the agenda, not the coach
- Your goals are the only thing that matter in the coaching relationship
- Coaching is future oriented…where do you want to go?
- Unlike in professional sports, professional coaching, doesn’t rely on the coach telling the participant what or even how to do “it”
- You have all of the answers within you; it is the coach’s role to utilize powerful questions to uncover answers and raise your awareness
- You gain clarity in order to make necessary changes to meet and exceed your goals
- Your coach holds you accountable for the behavior you desire to change
- Professional coaches uphold strict ethics and standards, including maintaining confidentiality
- Coaching is about creating long term lasting change so that you can live, work and enjoy the life you were designed to live
Hope that clears up the difference between mentoring and coaching. Personally, I have benefited from both in my life. The major difference for me personally, was gaining complete clarity for my personal and professional life through coaching. Have you used a coach? Is it something that you would like to explore in more detail? Let’s schedule a complimentary coaching session so we can explore more about your goals and what your future could look like.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]